In the year of 1613 there was a fire in Dorchester that destroyed 170 houses, which equated to half or the town.
Following this disaster 3 charities were set up to provide almshouses. These charities are still providing homes for needy residents today.
As a community that has supported poor and vulnerable residents for 400 years, it is good to see that there is a current appeal to continue to update the houses and improve the quality of life for the people who live in them.
The almshouses are in West Walks, so residents have access to the beautiful Borough Gardens and are very close to the town centre.
Some of the original almshouses were in Nappers Mite in South street opposite the new and very popular Durnovaria Bar. Nappers mite is now a very popular cafe with a very pleasant outside seating area.
Donations to the almshouse appeal can be made on line here.